A vehicle that was stolen from Durban North yesterday afternoon was found completely stripped at a chop shop merely hours later.
At approximately 17h10 yesterday members of our Special Operations Team were activated by Tracker SA to assist with tracking a Silver VW Polo that had been stolen from Romsey Grove in the Athlone area.
After a few hours of extensive tracking, the vehicle was found abandoned at a chop shop in the Amatikwe area – completely stripped. It had been fully dismantled with just the frame remaining intact, and the contents found discarded.
The theft of the vehicle occurred somewhere between 15h00 and 16h30, and it was located by members of our Special Operations Team, Tracker SA, SAPS and other private security companies at approximately 21h00.
The scene was secured and will be investigated further by the SAPS.
Is your vehicle fitted with a tracking unit?
In order for ground teams to operate as quickly and effectively as possible in the event of your vehicle being stolen, and to prevent any delays in activating the tracking unit, we encourage motorists to take note of the following.
- Find out if your vehicle is fitted or not. We have found that some motorists don’t know if their vehicle has been fitted with a tracking device. Please verify this information.
- Know who your tracking company is. In some instances where the vehicle is fitted, the motorist doesn’t know who their tracking company is.
- Know your identification details. Some motorists don’t know what their ID number or vehicle numberplate is, which causes a delay in activating.
- Early warning. Have a prewarning tracking system that notifies you that your vehicle has possibly been stolen.
- Test your tracker. Regularly test your tracking device to make sure it’s working.
- Pay your tracker! Make sure your account with your tracking company is up to date and not in arrears, to avoid delays in activation.